Mr Emeka: Nne!, Nne, biko bia…gimme medicine for malaria and typhoid, u get ampiclox?
Pharmacist: Do you have a prescription for that, or did you get a test done sir?
Mr Emeka: Which test? Shey I no know how e dey do me when I get malaria? No be u gimme medicine d last time? U wan talk say u no know me? E fit be typhoid sef, abeg add am put for typhoid medicine. Make everything for go wance (once).
Pharmacist: Sir, there are various specie of the malaria parasite, P.vivax, P.ovale, P.knowlesi, P.knowlesi or P.falciparum which is the most resistant of them all.
Mr Emeka: Shuuu…how I go take know the wan (one) wey dey do me? Wetin malaria know wey dem dey call am knowlesi?
Pharmacist: the more reason you need to see your physician sir
Mr Emeka: Beti, I don use wan before wey no work na
Pharmacist: You must include that in your complaint when you see your physician. Which did you use sir?
Mr Emeka: this emmm…green abi yello wan wey dem dey use for 3days
Pharmacist: I’ll assume it is an artemisinin combination therapy.
Mr Emeka: ginni?
Pharmacist: never mind sir, so, exactly how are you feeling?
Mr Emeka: this very terrible headache ehn….e be like say dem dey knack my head wit hamma, my eye go con dey turn me. Chai, this naija ehn, the wahala no go kii person.
Pharmacist: so sorry about that sir, if you would take a seat, please let me check your blood pressure.
Mr Emeka: nne, e be like say u no dey hear me, I say my head dey blow, u wan check ma chest. Abeg call ya oga for me. U neva sabi work well well!
Pharmacist: this will only take a minute pls…ehn oga
Mr Emeka: oya shap shap!
After checking his blood pressure thrice,
Pharmacist: your blood pressure reading is 180/120mmHg which is quite high sir. I think you need urgent medical attention. I would recommend you take two tablets of paracetamol for the headache and go to your clinic immediately.
Mr Emeka: ewo! Nne daalu o
Pharmacist: no problems sir, here is your medication.
Days later,
Mr Emeka brings a prescription for Hypertension medication, minimal malaria parasite and S.typhi is seen. On checking his BP, the reading is 150/100. Pharmacist advises Mr Emeka on the need for diet modification; less salt, plenty fruits and vegetables, exercise, compliance to his medication and adequate rest.
Mr Emeka sees his physician the next week
My people, it is not always malaria and typhoid. Sometimes, the body just needs rest, good food and some exercise.
Malaria is completely curable and preventable; use insecticide-treated nets, insect repellents, and sanitation of stagnant, water-logged, or dirty areas around the house.
Here are things to consider;
- Early diagnosis and prompt effective treatment of malaria
- Rational use of Anti-malaria agents ( ensure compliance and avoid abuse)
- Combination therapy
- Appropriate weight-based dosing.

No comments:
Post a Comment